Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Tosha, Trafficking, and Time to Do SOMETHING

In January of 2012 I started this blog for no particular reason.  As I recall, I really should have been grading papers or cleaning house, and because THAT was not any fun, I decided to venture out into the world of blogging.

Because I never committed to writing about any specific subject matter, I feel completely free to shift gears and to begin exploring a subject that has been brought to my attention over the last two years.  If you've read much of what I've posted in the past, you probably already know that I write with a decidedly Christian world view in mind.  That, my friends, will not change; but for those of you who may not read many of my posts simply because you don't share the same values and beliefs, I ask you to please stay with me for the next few posts.

What I want to write about is not just another "Christian Cause."  This subject should be of concern to all human beings, whether you are a Christian, Atheist, Agnostic, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, I-Don't-Care-ian, or WHATEVER you want to consider yourself.
If you have a heart that is not completely made of stone, if you care about the children in your life, or if justice, compassion, and freedom are not entirely foreign concepts in your thinking, then PLEASE, stay with me.
Maybe you already know about everything I plan to share and discuss.  If so, great.  Now do something about it.  That's what I'm trying to do here.  This is my feeble plea to whoever lands here to open your heart, open your hands, open your mouth and DO SOMETHING.

It is PAST time to DO SOMETHING about the problems of slavery and sex trafficking in OUR COUNTRY and in OUR WORLD.

Here's my plan:  I'm going to dedicate my next few blog posts to defining and discussing the issues of slavery and trafficking both at home and abroad, and then I will share some of the information, resources, and videos that I have become familiar with over the last few years.  

Why am I doing this, and why does it matter?
I'm doing this because recent statistics reveal that at least 100,000 children in the U.S. are exploited into prostitution every year. *
I'm doing this because, world wide, more that 27 million people live in some form of slavery, whether it is forced labor or in the sex industry.**
I'm doing this because the average age of a child exploited through prostitution is 13.*
I'm doing this because human trafficking in the U.S.A. alone is a 9.8 BILLION dollar industry.*

I'm doing this because I have a daughter.  I have a son.  I have nieces and nephews.  I have neighbors.  I have an audience--even if it's small--and maybe SOMETHING I'm able to share on this blog will help SOMEONE recognize, prevent, or STOP trafficking in their own home, neighborhood, state, country, and world.  This may very well be just a small cry for freedom and a weak call for action, but it's a start.  It's SOMETHING.

I love this quote I recently read on the #Enditmovement website:

Yes, we know nothing will happen just because you're aware of modern-day slavery, but we believe nothing will EVER happen until you are.AWARENESS MUST LEAD TO ACTION.
My friend Tosha is partly responsible for this post and the posts to follow.  The other day we had a conversation that somehow turned to this topic of trafficking, and sweet Tosha's eyes grew alarmed, and with a sense of urgency in her voice, she said, "What can we do?  How can we find out more about this so we can do something?"  
I sent her a text link to a broadcast that I'll share on here later, and then my brain went into overdrive as I began thinking of all the great websites, speakers, videos, and resources that I've seen....and rather than blow up her phone with links and suggestions, I decided to share it here.

I don't know much, but I will share what I know.  Will you feel free to do the same?  Who knows, but maybe something we share will be the key that unlocks the chains of slavery for SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE.  

I love that quote...."Awareness must lead to action..."

NOW WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?
* statistics and information from the Shared Hope International website, www.sharedhope.org
**statistic found at www.enditmovement.com

No comments:

Post a Comment